the mcduffie trio

Margaret McDuffie, jazz singer

Thursday, January 5, 2017


An Old Favorite

Round about Christmas time last year I was tinkering around with some carols and came up with a chord progression for Good King Wenceslas that had a lot of major 7 chords in it, and a few minors. It was a mellow, jazzy sound, oddly compelling. It's completely different than the original, but the message is just the same, so compassionate and almost eerily vivid. Such beautiful simple lines. Anyway, I recorded it on my zoom late that night, and despite all its faults sometimes I find listening to it is calming and inspiring. This winter has been pretty unwintery so far, at least around here. That will change soon enough, but even without it I feel the need in the world for this compassion. I need to remember that empathy and courage are within us and can't be legislated out of existence. Sometimes music is a way to remember that.


Good King Wenceslas revisited - on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzygifKJ6vI


No comments:

Post a Comment